Skip to main content

I'm still here.. But i'm actually here --->

I've logged in after a long time, a really long time. So long that I now cringe at the title I've given both my blog name and my "alias". I can't even blame my youth for this. I came up with this crap well after I turned 18, so I guess this is the something I need to live with.
But I actually came back to updating my blog because in the last year my life has changed so drastically. I'm in the place Andy Bernard from the office studied at man!! 10 odd years back when Dwight and Michael and Jim from the office were ribbing that guy from Cornell I had no idea I was going to be here!! In fact, I even selected Cornell as my first choice in the MBA GMAT college dropdown because of that, I wasn't expecting an MBA from the US man,  I just selected Cornell for Andy!! And the more I think about it, the more surreal it gets. I just feel lucky right now. I'm a good place, in a new phase of life, fat but alive.. I guess right now is a really good time to be me (the only smart decision I made when it came to blogging was the title, I guess). So while i'm here, let's just blog about it, shall we!?!
So around 12 months ago, roughly end of July'16 I had a heart to heart with my boss that while I was loving my team's dynamic and my profile was growing, my career seemed to be stagnating. I remember telling my dad that I would get an MBA before I turned 30. Well, I was 28 and the clock was ticking so I guess in my mind I was like 'Joel, time's almost up man, you sure you're sticking with that?' and maybe that's why subconsciously I wasn't giving my all at work mentally. I was doing a really great job at work, up for a promotion, I was about to get the sexy corner desk at work with a good view, but was that what I wanted? Apparently my brain was saying No. my brain's been quite forgetful of a lot of things - names, faces, bill payment dates - but was quite at giving me a daily reminder of " Well, you said you'd do something by 30, you're not gonna make it man. Failed promises, tsk tsk ". So I walked up to my boss, hoping for a "dude, great trajectory, much career, such wow" talk but the guy was super supportive of it! Helps when you have more that one person gunning for you, especially when that person is basically paying you for procrastinating. I would like to give myself credit for actually not slacking off at work 1 bit and pulling through while serving the longest notice period in history (July to March, 9 months!) but to be fair my old parents and especially my organization (boss, my super fun team) kept egging me on to do it too so it was a collective effort (i'm channeling my personal MS Dhoni here).
So ya, good meeting, handshakes all around , charted out a transition plan and I effectively left that meeting handing over my notice of resignation. Positive vibes yaw'll.. before it hit me... I effectively left that meeting handing over my notice of resignation!!! I want an MBA, true that. BUT I still don't have the books, haven't planned my studies, don't have an exam date yet, for a guy who wants an MBA that was incredibly stupid! But I guess it helped me focus on a target better, knowing that I have nothing to fall back on. Roll that dice man, all or nothing baby!!! And so I did, and i'm glad I did. I don't want to make this a blog about my scores and the MBA process and my 'strategy' etc, you'll find a lot more self-indulgent posts on Quora about that filled with high achievers doing cool things with their lives. I'm just trying to experience mine for myself. All I can say though, is that 12 months later, i'm in Ithaca, New York studying in Cornell University (it's Gorges!!) looking forward to experiencing snow in 6 months time for the first time in my life.
I've been here two months and I still can't believe how i'm here though. I heard of this place on a goddamn TV show I loved and now I'm here. The only way this this can be topped is if I get hired to work an on SNL type show for NBC at 30 Rock. I swear to God, I will freak out if that happens! Don't really care if anyone reads this or not, this is just for me, to remind me about my blessings and telling me, not bad Joe, but now just don't go ahead and screw it up now coz you have a huuuuuuge debt to pay back. Hail, All hail, Cornell!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relationshipus Nonsensiclus…

If the Title confuses you then relax, coz it’s a new term that has been given to the age old malady that has been going on for generations on end. It is a condition that generally affects the Heart( source) but then starts spreading to afflict the various other parts of the body, resulting eventually in, Failure of the Brain, i.e. Maximus Stupidus. Ladies n gentleman I present to thee, Love.. In my 21 years of research I have found out that this is by far the most overrated of Diseases, and is easily curable, though it’s preferable if it were Prevented. It has a affliction rate higher than the Common Cold, n causes more physical n mental damage than Prostrate cancer. It is also known in the inner circle as “Ladoo Motichurus, jise ho vo bhi tadpe, jise na ho vo bhi tadpe”. However one of the most lethal aspects about this disease is that if you are affected, n then if the Virus decides to leave ( sometimes, luck permitting) u still end up with “Humiliation Extremus” which is caused by t

I’m sick of killing vampires… I’m thinking of retiring..

Well, The twilight Series is pretty hot right, Even In India.. Those Really good looking kids playing “Vampires” remind me of the good old days with "Buffy-The Vampire Slayer” and then that Show “Angel” that has the “Bones” guy… Good Stuff!! So before the new Twilight movie (New Moon!! amazing link up play with the words in my opinion, better than Liverpools at the moment), in a method inspired by “The Late Show with David Letterman” ( Yes, “inspired”) I bring you my Top 10 reasons for quitting my Vampire Mutilating Job.. 1) Buffy Quit, no more eye candy at our Month end meets.. 2) The Pay is atrocious!! Plus Halloween comes just once a year, so the vampire fangs I collect to sell in the black market during that time tend to rot after a while. 3) They have blue blood, after slashing them when it sprays across the room it tends to take away my sense of achievement. Red is a lot more Motivating!! 4) There’s only one weapon to kill them u know, the Cross with a spike at the bottom,

I thought I could write a love song

Wonder how these Love song guys always know what to say.. I really thought Richard Marx & John Mayer were actually pretty gay.. I thought they write that bullshit because of what it paid.. As a grew up I realized it’s only coz it gets them laid.. It’s about time I “got some”, I don’t have much to live.. If you bought the corny line above, Babeh I’ve got a lot to “give”.. The coolest thing about a love song is the sexy slow start.. How am I to get in the mood when my inspirations are Cartman & Bart? I’m sure my lack of “love” shall cause my divorce.. Only my Mom once told me she loved me, n even that seemed forced.. I need some sexy tune to make them run around with me by the trees.. Screw that, it’s tiring, I just need something to get them on their knees.. I’ll need to learn to sing, learn the sexy art of crooning… But I really don’t know why I’ve to screw my throat, just to hear some moaning.. Play some chords from one song, steal some words from the other one.. Yup, that’s i